Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Burqas, Hijabs and Veils (hw 32)

After reading further into Baghdad Burning I learned about Burqas, Hajibs, and veils. The main thing I learned from reading the past couple of entries from riverbend are the difference between a burqa and habib. A veil covers the whole face and head and is the same thing as a burqa. In Iraq it is referred to as a burqa and in Europe it is referred to as a veil. A hijab however, is just like a scarf. It is usually worn over the hair and neck but can be used in a variety of different ways (Riverbend 92). After reading further into Riverbend’s entries I found out the Hijab’s are becoming more of a fashion statement then a necessity to cover womens faces. They come in an array of different styles and colors although most only wear black and white. Hijabs in Iraq can be worn with anything, skirts, pants and jeans as long as they are appropriate. This is very different from what I first thought. I thought hijabs had to cover most of a Muslim woman and that they could not be seen in public without them. Now, I know this is not true. I also learned Muslim women do not wear Hijabs because they have to (Riverbend 93). They wear them for religious reasons and because it is the correct thing to do in their minds.

No comments: