Wednesday, October 10, 2007

HW 19- Blogging Globally

Reading the article “Web of Influence” was some what challenging for me. I choose a passage on page 85 about how blogging can affect global policies. The paragraph states that although blogs can have an affect on political issues, it cannot influence global policies. Although this paragraph presents facts and statistics, I believe that this will soon change over the next twenty years. According to Drenzer “only four percent of online Americans refer to blogs for information and opinions. The blogoshpere has no central organization and its participants have little ideological consensus. Indeed an October 2003 survey of the blogosphere conducted by Perseus concluded that the typical blog is written by a teenage girl who uses it twice a month to update her friends and classmates on happenings in her life”(Drenzer 85). This really shocked me because after researching the blogging world I’ve found its so much more then teenager’s blogging there opinions. After reading the novel Blog! I’ve found and researched many blogs on global problems, social problems and gossip. To put it another way, the blog world is growing rapidly and I think the world needs to realize sooner or later that global politics will become a part of the blogosphere. If a blog is big enough it is able to catch on and spread. Once it is spread all over the world the possibilities are endless. Essentially I am arguing that, so many people have opinions on global politics that I think they should be heard. My point is blogging never hurt anyone, it just made people’s opinions be heard.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

I'm not sure that when Drezner asks where blogging can influence global politics, that he is taking that position that it does not. The paragraph you mention is talking about the general reputation (and perhaps misconception) that blogging is for teenage angst. I think later in the chapter Drezner goes on to discuss how, in fact, blogs read and written by influential people can have an effect on policy.