Monday, October 29, 2007

HW 25 Pro American Puppet Goverment?

Today was the first time I picked up the novel Baghdad Burning by Riverbend. After reading the foreword and introduction I am extremely excited and eager to start reading. The first thing that really caught my attention was the foreword written by Ahdeif Soueif. A quote from the foreword made me realize how real this novel is and how this is written by a woman on the other side of the war. “There was a time when people here felt sorry for the troops. No matter what ones attitude was to the occupation, there were moments of pity towards the troops, regardless of their nationality. We would see them suffering under the Iraqi sun, obviously wishing they were somewhere else and somehow that vulnerability made them seem less monstrous and more human. That time has passed” (Riverbend viii). Although, this comment is made by Riverbend, Soueif expresses how important this part is and it really attracted me as a reader. Moving on to the introduction it began with a synopsis of the history of Iraq over the past two decades. Ridgeway then goes on to talk about how Riverbend believes that the United States wants Iraq to be a pro American puppet government. This was one of the more interesting parts of the introduction because I sympathize and agree with Riverbend. A part of Ridgeway’s introduction that got to me was when he states “Once you are into Riverbend her war becomes your war. You begin to see things through her eyes and those of her family. You read in the news about a raid on a section of Baghdad and immediately you want to check her blog. (Ridgeway Xii). This really excited me about reading the novel and made me want to read more. This book seems to be like a lot of the blog’s I’m watching
Once you start reading you often want to check them to see what is new.

No comments: